If you are a novice artist or collector who has faced the problem of transporting paintings, this blog post is right for you. Unless you properly prepare your artwork for the long haul, there is a chance of mishaps and damage in transit. We have put together some handy things to consider if you want to ship a painting safely.
Things to consider before you ship a painting
To prepare for painting transportation, you need to know two simple things:
1. Proper packaging is a must
No one wants their lovely paintings to arrive in a messy condition or completely damaged. Unfortunately, no one can also predict what kind of risk may arise on the road when they ship a painting. However, one can always prepare and protect their artwork properly. Here are several useful tips:
- Never pack a painting without making sure it is clean.
- Pack only with quality bubble wrap and packaging paper and buy new sturdy boxes instead of using old ones.
- Use cardboard corner protectors to ensure the frame won’t get damaged in transit.
- Do not stack boxes with paintings. It is best to ship them upright.
- Wear art handling gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints on the canvas.
- Always use shipping stickers like “Fragile” and “Handle with care.”
2. A professional art shipping company is a warranty of successful transportation
Turning to a professional art shipping company can save you money and time. To make sure you have found the company that suits your needs best, ask the shippers the following questions:
- What is your experience in transporting artwork?
- Do you provide art packing and art installation services?
- Do you have proper licensing?
- Do you provide art insurance?
Take the time and effort to find real experts who can ship your artwork safely and successfully. Consider hiring Fine Art Shippers because we do know how to ship a painting of any kind and size!